Thursday, February 16, 2006

They did what to Wal-Mart?

I posted this over on my blog with some small differences, but I thought I would share it here for everyone.

So I was reading the news and those who do as well have learned that the state of Mass. if forcing Wal-Mart to sell the morning after pill. This comes after three women sue for being "denied" the pill by Wal-Mart. OK. It's not like it's sitting on a back corner in the store and they're not selling it. It's not in the store. Hardly a denial.
These people have to be the most pathetic that have ever existed. This would be like me sueing a Jewish deli for not offering ham. Someone might think it's stupid they don't offer it, but they can take their business elsewhere. They have the right to stock what they want or don't want. It's rediculous. Wal-Mart made a choice to not sell it. If you don't like it, go to another store. That's the beauty of the free market. A lot of so-called "pro women" groups are calling this a success. But anyone who honestly believes that needs to learn a bit more about our free country. They can't appreciate the beauty of people being able to sell goods that they choose to sell. The cash register at Wal-Mart isn't for sale. Maybe I should sue because they won't sell that to me. Best Buy doesn't sell the morning after pill. Let's go after them next! We need to get that stuff on every corner in America! I hope these women are happy because they've helped compromise that which makes America beautiful. And the state should be equally happy.
Dr. Rebeckah Gee of Boston (one of the plantiffs) is quoted saying in regards to this matter "My patients should not have to shop around." I don't recall that being a right. Maybe I missed it and it's shoved in between life and liberty. Shopping around is something we ALL do! If something's not at one store, I go to another. I usually patronize those stores that carry stuff I want, offer good prices, and good costomer service. I shop at places like Best Buy and Meijer because they offer the products I want at prices I can live with. I don't shop at Victoria's Secret because they don't offer products I would buy. Hey! How about we sue them for not offering items for men to purchase? Afterall, that's discrimination!
Upon further research I've come to learn that the reason for all this hoop-la is that state policy requires drug stores to carry "commonly prescribed medicines." Dictionary.com defines medicine as "an agent, such as a drug, used to treat desease or injury." Apparently a pregnancy is now a desease or injury of sorts to people on the left. People get pregnant all the time. Where's WHO to handle this outbreak? Also, how is the morning after pill "commonly prescribed"? I hear commonly prescribed and I think antibiotics, cold medicine, allergy medicine, that sort of stuff. I find it a stretch to include the morning after pill.
I think we all need to take a stand against this regardless of which side you're on regarding the morning after pill. It sets a very nasty precidence. But in the end, I have to say there's a bit of irony. A group who's all about the right for a woman to choose is against a store's right to choose.

1 comment:

A.J. said...

Good call Dan, especially with that last sentence. That sums it all up. The left is all about choice, unless they are forced to choose, and then it's their right to not have to choose.