Thursday, April 20, 2006

What Jane Roe says about Sarah Weddington

On Wednesday, Sarah Weddington, the lawyer who won Roe v. Wade, spoke at Western. I thought that it would be interesting to find out what Jane Roe thinks about Sarah Weddington. Jane Roe's real name is Norma McCorvey. She wrote a book entitled Won by Love: Norma McCorvey, Jane Roe of Roe v. Wade, Speaks out for the Unborn as She Shares Her New Conviction for Life. Here are the relevant excerpts:

“As soon as Sarah Weddington had my name on the affidavit, I had served my purpose. She called be back, all right—four months after my child had been born. …
Though Sarah had passed herself off as my friend, in reality, she had used me. …
I was of no use to her unless I was pregnant.” (pg. 29)

“Sarah Weddington and company didn’t want me to shine. I was chosen because they needed someone who would sign the paper and fade into the background, never coming out and always keeping silent.
Ideally, in their minds, I would have just stayed quiet, got on with my life, and quietly suffered, perhaps eventually committing suicide. I would have been much more useful to them … if I had died young. As long as I was alive, I was a danger. I might speak out.” (pg. 33-34)

“Not that Sarah had a problem chasing money when the opportunity presented itself. In 1995 she ran into some controversy of her own when she was chastised for lobbying on behalf of a New England power plant seeking to dump radioactive waste near a largely Hispanic, poor community in West Texas. Sarah [was willing] to throw her principles to the wind for a big payoff.” (pg. 35)

“On many occasions, Sarah Weddington had made it clear that to her I was nothing more than a name in a class-action lawsuit. Jane Roe was all that mattered to Sarah; the real Norma McCorvey was irrelevant.” (pg. 162)

“The truth came out in that interview. Sarah confessed, ‘I don’t care about Norma McCorvey. I care about Jane Roe. Norma McCorvey was just a name on a class-action lawsuit.’” (pg. 194)

“The affidavit did not happen the way I said it did. I lied! Sarah Weddington … needed an extreme case to make their client look pitiable. Rape seemed to be the ticket. What made rape even worse? A gang rape! It all started out as a little lie. …
Sarah knew the truth, the real truth, long before he ever went to the Supreme Court in 1971. Yes, the stated reason for my abortion is based upon a lie, a great lie. So the entire abortion industry is based on a lie. …
Sarah [was] looking for somebody, anybody, to use to further [her] own agenda.” (pg 241-242)

No comments: