Saturday, July 26, 2008

Campaign Fundraising News

UPDATE: Correction regarding David Yardley's finance report below.

Candidates across Michigan have turned in their pre-primary campaign finance reports. These show how much each candidate has raised, who donated, and how much they have spent.

Readers can find the reports for themselves at the Secretary of State's campaign finance website.

News reports often focus on the total a candidate raised. This can be misleading if it is used as measure of support, since a large chunk of the money raised by many candidates is given or loaned by themselves. Candidates can also spend money on their own campaigns as "in kind" contributions, which is reported in a different section of the report. The Gazette article below failed to account for these contributions.

DeShazor outspends O'Brien 2 to 1

In the 61st district state house race, Margaret O'Brien raised about $26,000, including $7000 of her own money. Larry DeShazor raised about $27,000, including $4300 of his own money. DeShazor's donors include many moderates and liberals, including Ronda Stryker, William Johnston, Ed Sackley, Don Gilmer, and Betty Ongley. While DeShazor did outspend O'Brien 2:1, she still has about $7000 in the bank, while he has only about $2000.

DeShazor also has a debt of $600 to Lorence Wenke for truck rental dating back to the 2006 campaign. Is he ever going to pay it?

Then there is the strange case of David Yardley, the third candidate in the race. Yardley gave a $30,000 loan to himself. His only other itemized contributions came from family members who live in his house. [Correction: Yardley had about $1700 in unitemized contributions, which appear to have been incorrectly categorized by his campaign as itemized, resulting in their being overlooked here initially.] He then spent $23,000, all of it going to "Yardley's Campaign Solutions", which is owned by David Yardley. Yardley has no known literature, one known yard sign, and has shown no other signs of spending money. What's going on?

In the 8th district judicial race, Bill Murphy raised about $29,000, Jeffrey Gagie about $21,000, Sondra Nowak, $15,000; and Julie Phillips, $11,210. All except Murphy mostly gave their own money. Murphy gave about $14,000 of his own money.

1 comment:

David Yardley said...

Hi "Conservative First" or whatever your real name is.

I always find your posts interesting.

I'd be happy to share copies of literature, etc with you. However, I will just direct you and your readers to www.davidyardley.org to learn about me, since you have only referenced me once before as even being a candidate. I am the only candidate who has full-time experience working in Lansing as Chief of Staff to a State Representative, as well having worked for the House Republican Caucus. My two opponents can only claim being members of the Portage City Council, which only meets 2 days a month.

As a former MSU College Republican, Chair of the Michigan Federation of Young Republicans, Vice-Chair of the Young Republican National Federation and having worked on Republican campaigns since I was 16, as a volunteer, donor, consultant, campaign manager or other staff. I have spent far more time as a Republican activist then Margaret or Larry combined.

As far as conservative credentials, I have served as chair of the Michigan Conservative Union, worked on numerous conservative causes. I am Pro-Life (having carried the Right To Life banner all of my life.. being born with a birth defect makes it very very personal as well as my religious beliefs of life beginning at conception.I have donated and raised money for Pro-Life causes. I am Pro-Gun (I am a member of the NRA, have owned guns (I admit it), my brother was the top marksman in the Air Force 3 years straight, it kinda runs in the family. And Pro-Family and believe we need to make people more responsible for their actions.

I have signed the Americans For Tax Reform pledge for No New Taxes. We must cut and reduce the size of government. My favorite politicians are Reagan, Gingrich and Armey. I have strong libertarian leanings in fiscal policy.. favorite economists: Friedman and von Mises. I have attended several of Hillsdale's conferences over the years, and have attended FEE conferences. I worked with Gary Wolfram and John Engler on the original state drafts, development, and passage of the first enterprise zone (Tax-Free Zone)in Michigan, in Benton Harbor (and one of the first in the nation) I worked with Jack Kemp on federal enterprise zones when he was Secretary of HUD.

I was also one of the small group of people that helped create charter schools in Michigan through the original group TEACH (Toward Educational Accountability and Choice) Michigan. I will never take money from the MEA Union like Larry has. As far as my campaign finances I think you overlooked a few facts.. there are unitemized contributions (under $20.01) that was raised through door-to-door donations by voters.. donations of $1, $5, $10, etc. from about 100 supporters.

I hope this clears up some of who I am, and the assumptions you have made about me.. please visit my website to learn more.

Oh, and by the way, to date there have been over 3 million geo-demographically targeted contacts delivered to voters in the 61st district.

Hey "Conservative First", why don't you come out of the closet and post your real name. I think readers would like to know who you really are and your associations with the candidates you so proudly endorse under the name of the WMU College Republicans. I'll assume you're to young to recall during Ronald Reagan's 1966 campaign for governor of California, Republicans established the so-called Eleventh Commandment: "Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican."

Thanks.

Dave

David J. Yardley
Committee To Elect David Yardley
P.O. Box 63
Portage, MI 49081-0063

Phone: 269-216-4830 or 877-4-YARDLEY
Fax: 877-808-5886

E-mail: davidyardley@gmail.com

www.davidyardley.org

Want lower gas prices??
Visit my website and sign the petition:
"Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less"