Office of Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay & Transgender Student ServicesAren't you glad your tax dollars help to support this?
Coordinator Position Description
Level: Full-time (20 hours/week) Doctoral Associateship or Graduate Assistantship
Supervision: This position reports to Suzie Nagel, Associate Dean of Students, Division of Student Affairs.
Application Information: Please submit letter of interest and résumé by Monday, October 30 2006 to:
Associate Dean of Students
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5326
LBGT Student Services Mission: The mission of the Office of Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, and Transgender (LBGT) Student Services is to promote a campus climate that affirms and supports the academic and personal development of students who identify as lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender, transsexual, questioning, their partners, allies, and others who face discrimination due to their sexual orientation or gender identity. LBGT Student Services offers education about gender identity and sexual orientation to the WMU community and collaborates with registered student organizations and members of WMU and local community agencies to provide students with access to healthy resources, activities, and support services.
Purpose of Coordinator Position: To increase knowledge, awareness, and understanding among the WMU community of issues related to sexual orientation and gender identity; and to provide information, referral, support, and advocacy to lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender students in accordance with the mission of LBGT Student Services.
1. Maintain and enhance the Safe On Campus and Transgender ally programs: publicize programs; schedule and conduct orientation/training sessions; periodically communicate with members; monitor and/or evaluate usage, effectiveness.
2. Maintain and enhance the LBGT SpeakOUT Panel program: publicize program to potential users; schedule programs and speakers; recruit and train new speakers; meet periodically with program members; compile summaries of user evaluations.
3. Identify departments, units, special groups or populations at WMU that could benefit from education to increase LBGT awareness, sensitivity, and responsiveness. Develop and provide training.
4. Continue the positive working relationship with LBGT registered student organizations OUTspoken and OUTreach.
5. In collaboration with registered student organizations and/or community agencies, plan, organize, and implement special activities and events that address the issues, concerns, or needs of LBGT students and allies – in particular, Fall Welcome Celebration, National Coming Out Day, and LBGT Awareness Week events.
6. Hold regular office hours.
7. Maintain and further awareness, use, and visibility of the office and its services.
a. Produce and distribute office brochures and other materials related to office services and activities.
b. Utilize media and communication vehicles to promote awareness of office.
c. Represent the office at appropriate events designed to share information about WMU resources and services (e.g., Welcome Week, Bronco Bash, RA Training, Graduate and Non-Traditional Student Services Fair, Orientation Leader Training).
d. Serve on University committees as appropriate and ensure that the perspectives and needs of LBGT students are represented.
8. Recruit, train, and supervise student employees and volunteers.
9. Provide information, referral, support, and advocacy to LBGT and ally students.
a. Collect and organize information about campus and community resources for LBGT students.
b. Provide information, support, and advocacy for students who are experiencing harassment or discrimination based on real or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity.
c. Maintain the resource library of educational materials related to the office mission.
10. Facilitate two meetings per semester of the Campus LGBT Advisory Committee. This group is comprised of WMU faculty, staff, and students who provide input and support to LBGT Coordinator and advocates for the needs of LBGT students at WMU.
11. Respond to requests by faculty, staff, and students for information about LBGT issues.
12. Routinely collect and report data and information on services provided by the office.
Rosana Alsaud Chairperson Graduate Student Advisory Committee Western Michigan University Office: (269) 387-8207 Fax: (269) 387-8232 www.wmich.edu/gsac
Tuesday, October 24, 2006
In Michigan's difficult economic climate, finding a job may not be easy. Here's an opportunity for a job with Western that I received in an email.